We’ve just had the COP conference so the environment is big news at the moment and for good reason. It’s a fact that the world is getting warmer and that we are experiencing more adverse weather events.
I think it’s really important for everyone to do what they can to help the environment so in September 2020 I signed Relax Therapies up to a scheme to plant trees and offset carbon with Ecologi.
Ecologi plants trees in both the UK and abroad and funds green projects to offset carbon. In July this year I took it a step further and decided to fund the planting of a tree for every treatment I do (counselling and massage) and to date (November 2021) I have funded the planting of 568 trees and offset 15.19 tonnes of carbon.
It isn’t enough to just offset carbon and plant trees though – so I also take action to limit the impact of my business on the environment.
For example here are a few of the things I do to limit impact on the environment.
- offer water in glasses rather than disposable plastic cups
- ditch disposable paper couch roll in favour of cotton sarongs (these are washed for each client but being thin they wash and dry quickly minimising impact)
- use smol washing tablets for laundering linens which come in plastic free packaging
- avoid use of palm oil in favour of oils such as sunflower which does not involve deforestation of rainforests
- avoid use of essential oils which involve deforestation – for example sandalwood oil. Sadly many Sandalwood forests are now endangered
- recycle as much as I can. For example worn linens are donated to RSPCA for use as animal bedding
Why is this important?
Disposable couch roll is made from paper which obviously involves deforestation but also the bleach used to make the paper white contributes to pollution. They also take a long time to decompose. I use a waterproof cover which is wiped down with alcohol to clean between clients and this is covered with a cotton sarong which is washed for each client. Being cotton it does not shed microplastics in the washing machine which then enter the water supply (like some clothing does).
Relax Therapies and Animal Testing
This is a big NO from me! As an almost lifelong vegetarian and huge animal lover I see no reason to EVER use products tested on animals in my treatments.
All the cleaning products used and all the massage oils used are free from animal ingredients and animal testing.
This means that you can come for a massage knowing that it’s cruelty free and having minimal impact on the environment.
If you have any ideas about making things more environmentally friendly please get in touch and let me know!
I am a massage therapist and counsellor based in Birkenhead, Wirral.
I am passionate about helping people feel better and use a mind body approach to this working with both counselling, massage and acupuncture.