I have lots of experience using Aromatherapy massage with clients with Fibromyalgia (FM). This blog is about how aromatherapy and massage can help relieve the symptoms and improve well being.
What is Fibromyalgia?
The main symptoms of FM are:
- constant aching in the muscles
- very tender spots that are painful when pressure is applied
Fibromyalgia seriously affects quality of life, with some people so severely affected they struggle to get out of bed.
The cause isn’t known but it is thought to be triggered by e.g. a virus, stress or chemical exposure.
There are treatments that can help the symptoms of FM but there is no cure yet.
This blog looks at aromatherapy massage which can be useful in relieving symptoms alongside conventional medical treatments.
Thanks so much Anna for my massage the other day. Feel so much better including my shoulder.Wendy B – a client with Fibromyalgia
How does massage help?
The University of Miami have conducted studies on fibromyalgia which showed that massage therapy:
- increased levels of serotonin (a neurotransmitter in the brain)
- decreased levels of stress hormones
- decreased tender point pain
- reduced levels of pain messengers in the blood
- improved well being and sleep patterns.
I have had clients report feeling less pain and stiffness and tiring less easily when having regular massages. Typically a treatment involves starting with light, gentle strokes to warm up the body and improve circulation followed by deeper work into the muscles (always guided by the client as FM causes very painful tender areas in the muscles).
Aromatherapy for Fibromyalgia
In an aromatherapy treatment I select oils with the client, taking into account their symptoms, aims for treatment and their preferences for aromas.
Some oils that could be used are:
- Lavender and Chamomile help relieve pain, aid sleep and relieve stress.
- Ginger and Black Pepper help boost circulation and reduce stiffness.
- Peppermint or Rosemary boost energy levels and help concentration
About Relax Therapies
Anna founded Relax Therapies in 2015 after a lifetime interest in holistic therapy. She is qualified in numerous therapies including Aromatherapy, Sports Massage, Deep tissue massage and Reflexology.
Anna has also received the Top three best rated massage therapist award 3 years in a row.
To book or find out more…
Please contact me here or call me on 07772 874 242 if you would like some advice.